This website uses cookies - view our cookies policy to find out more, or accept and close.

Documents Checklist

Student Visas

After you submit your student visa application, you will be able to book an appointment at a Visa Application Centre to provide your biometric information (i.e. fingerprints and photograph). You will also be able to download a list of documents that are required to support your visa application. Most of the documents can be uploaded electronically, or you can take them to your visa appointment for scanning. Certain documents must be originals and cannot be uploaded. This guide will help you prepare the necessary documents.

Supporting Documentation

You must submit ORIGINALS (not copies) of these documents at your visa appointment.

  • A valid passport.
  • If you are not a citizen of the country from which you are applying, proof that you have the right to reside there (e.g. residence permit or visa).

The following documents can be uploaded electronically, or scanned at your visa appointment.

  • Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements or a financial guarantee letter from your Government) to prove you can pay your tuition fees, accommodation and living expenses.
  • If you rely on funds provided by your parent(s), your birth certificate and a signed letter of consent giving you permission to use their funds for your studies.
  • Academic certificates for all qualifications mentioned on your CAS Letter.
  • If mentioned on your CAS statement, an English language test certificate.
  • If you are under 18, your birth certificate and a letter of consent to study in the UK signed by both parents.
  • If you are resident in a country where TB testing is required, an up to date TB test certificate issued by an approved clinic and not more than 6 months old.
  • A valid ATAS1 certificate if your course requires it.
  • Certified translations of any documents that are not in English (see below).

WARNING: if you do not provide a full set of valid documents in the precise format required, your visa application will be refused. If you are in any doubt, please contact your student advisor before attending your visa appointment!

Certified Translations

Any document that is not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. Documents must be translated by a professional translator and must comply with the following rules. Please make sure your translator is aware of this.

  • The translation must include a statement from the translator that this is a full and accurate translation of the original document.
  • The translator must provide their full name and sign and date the translation.
  • The translation must include the translator's address and contact details.

In most cases, the translator will stamp each page of the translation, then sign and date on top of the stamp.


In certain circumstances, students are not required to submit a full set of documents with their student visa application. However, the Entry Clearance Officer dealing with your visa application has the right to ask for these documents before making a final decision. So you will always have to prepare a full set of documents, in case they are requested. Before submitting your documents, you should check with your student advisor to confirm if these exceptions apply to you.

  • Nationals of certain "Low Risk" countries do not need to submit financial evidence or qualifications when applying for a student visa from that country or from the UK.
  • You may not have to submit academic certificates if you are studying at degree level (NQF Level 6) or above and the institution is a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance.
  • If you have been studying in the UK on a student visa for at least 12 months and you are extending your visa from within the UK, you may not need to submit financial evidence.

Also In This Section

Further Information

The following links will open in a new browser window.

1 ATAS certificates are required for citizens of some countries when applying to study a postgraduate research degree in certain subjects considered sensitive by the UK Government. In most cases, you will not need an ATAS certificate for the courses offered on our website. Your CAS Letter will state if an ATAS certificate is required.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this section is for guidance only. You should always check with the UK Government's Website (Visas & Immigration) for the latest information before applying for a student visa. Failure to follow the correct procedures is likely to result in your application being refused and could affect your ability to obtain a visa in the future.

Ready To Get Started?

Our expert advisors have helped 1,000s of international students plan their studies abroad.

Applying Is Easy With!


or sign in if you already have an account