This web site uses cookies (view policy | accept)

Guide to Funding Your Studies

Free Student Account

Register now for your FREE student account!


Or sign in here if you are already regsitered.

Student Account Benefits

A free, one stop advice service for international students who want to study in the UK.

expert help and advice Free expert advice and assistance from your student advisor.
apply online Apply online for any course in minutes!
apply online Fast decisions on your applications, often
within 2 - 3 days!
help applying for student visa Visa Assist service. The key to getting your student visa on time.
help applying for student visa Find a safe & secure place to stay with our accommodation booking service.
help applying for student visa UK based advisors - experts in the British education system.
point of contact in uk A friendly point of contact in the UK throughout your studies.

Our services are paid for by our partner colleges and universities and are FREE OF CHARGE for students who apply through this web site!

funding your studies

A British education provides excellent value for money in terms of the career opportunities it will make possible. But it's important to make sure you can fund your studies before you apply. This list of frequently asked questions provides help and advice on funding your studies and provides information on how much you will need for accommodation and living expenses in the UK.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the options for funding my studies?

In some countries, the Government provides generous scholarships that enable students to study abroad. Other students must fund their own studies, either directly using their own funds, a bank loan or with financial assistance from family members.

Scholarships and bursaries may be available from the college or university to which you apply. However, in most cases, these will pay for only a small amount towards your tuition fees. Full scholarships are rare and are awarded only to students with an exceptional academic record.

Can you help me find a scholarship?

No, we cannot help you to find a scholarship. For non EU students, we recommend you contact the British Embassy or High Commission in your country, as they may be able to help you find a scholarship to study in the UK. Please visit the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office web site to an Embassy or High Commission in your country.

Can you help me find a student loan?

If you are a citizen of an EU country, you may be able to obtain a student loan for a university course from the UK Government. Please visit the Student Loans Company website for more information. We do not have any information on obtaining student loans in other countries.

How much will I need to study in the UK?

Most academic courses costs approximately £10,000 - £12,000 per year. You will also need a minimum monthly allowance of £1,015 (£1,265 in Central London) to cover your expenses (e.g. accommodation, food, transport and daily living expenses).

Should I apply if I am unable to fund my studies?

If you need a student visa to enter the UK, you must be able to prove you have the funds to pay for your studies. You will need to produce bank statements showing you have the money to pay for your first year tuition fees, plus accommodationg and living expenses. If you are unable to prove this, your visa application will be rejected and you will lose any registration and visa application fees you have paid. Please be aware of this before submitting your application!

Can I work in the UK to pay for my studies?

There are no employment restrictions on citizens of the EU (or Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or Liechtenstein).

Holders of Tier 4 student visas may able to work part time during term time (10 or 20 hours, depending on the level of your course) and full time during vacations. But it depends on the level of course you are studying and the status of the institution.

Remember, to get a student visa you will have to prove you have sufficient funds to pay your first year tuition fees in full and accommodation and living expenses. If you don't have sufficient funds in your bank account when you apply for your visa, your visa application will be refused.

Holders of Short Term Study Visas will not be permitted to work.